First Date Cooking: Awesome Recipe for the Culinary-Challenged
I’ve grown accustomed these past years since divorcing to creating dinner menus suitable for young kids – that is, not too fancy, easy to make, and rarely ethnic. Cause whenever I’ve veered off this menu plan, little noses would turn up and I’d hear, “Can I have a bowl of cereal instead?” (Frustrating!!!!)
When we’re dating after divorce however, we eventually find ourselves wanting to cook a delicious meal for a special date. And low and behold, we’re sent into panic mode cause packaged chicken cordon bleu is not exactly romantic!
Thus, speaking as a culinary-challenged mother of three, I’m offering up this personally tested and sure-win recipe to any of you wanting to prepare something yummy (and impressive) for someone special. It’s quick and easy to follow, too!
Thai Green Curry Chicken
2 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp green curry paste (I used red)
3 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 can coconut milk
2 lbs boneless chicken, diced
5 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 lb fettucine or egg noodles
1/2 cup sprigs of fresh cilantro
1) Combine oil and curry paste in a fry pan; stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the fish sauce, cream and coconut milk.
2) Add the chicken and summer gently until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened slightly; about 15 minutes.
3) Stir in broccoli and simmer 3 – 4 minutes or until broccoli is tender-crisp.
4) Meanwhile, cook noodles in boiling water, drain and keep warm. Spoon curry over warm noodles and garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
* I also added chopped orange peppers and snap peas to the curry sauce, after the brocoli had softened a big.
Seriously – if I can make this and do it well, you can, too! I hope this helps – please let me know if you try it!!!