Cheating Husband in the Public Swimming Pool

Posted by Delaine - February 28, 2009 - Infidelity - 18 Comments

cheating-husband-divorce

I was at a public swimming pool with my three kids, playing in the toddler section.  A great big bucket of water above us was almost full and teetering to tip.  My kids squealed and we all huddled in, arms entwined, heads down…till finally, the much-anticipated water crashed over our heads and backs.

Laughing, I scooted back on my bum and pushed my long drenched hair out of my face.

And that’s when I met his eyes.

He was sitting about ten feet away on a shelf in deeper water, arms outstretched to his sides. Dark hair, muscular chest, maybe 40.   And he was staring.  Not looking, not laughing, but staring.

Our gaze broke when my four-year-old suddenly jumped on top of me.  I continued playing with her and laughing…and I could feel his eyes on me.  I looked over at him again – and yes, he wasn’t looking, he was staring

“Mom, can you get me a life-jacket so we can play in the deep water?”  my six year old asked.

I looked over at the life-jackets strung on hooks poolside.  Figures I wore my bikini today!    “Of course honey,” I replied, standing up in the shallow water.  I felt naked as I pulled myself out of the water.

Two minutes later, in another section of the pool, he suddenly appeared about five feet away from me.  Jesus, he’s following me!  Pretty brazen!  This time, when our eyes met, he smiled.  Man, he’s cute!  I smiled back and my stomach fluttered.  Then, How bad is this to be ‘picking up’ when I’m out for a family swim!!!  Off I went on flipper boards with my kids, thinking Yeah, I’m open to talking to this guy…

Over the next ten minutes, I found myself looking around to see where he was …and he was always close by and looking/smiling at me.  I also saw him playing with a little boy, maybe three-years-old.  Must be a divorced dad with weekend visitation, I thought.  I love watching men play with kids….

Then, a woman appeared.

She stood at the side of the pool talking to him.  He handed her his son and pulled himself out of the water.  I watched them interact…how his demeanor changed, how he focused on her.

Shocked, I thought:   Holy f***.  This guy is married!

I shook my head in disgust and continued playing with my kids.  Still, I remained a bit bewildered; this guy had been sending me the vibe BIG TIME; unmistakably. And his wife had been in the same room the whole time!

I then thought back to when I married and all the times we’d gone public swimming with our children.  And I wondered how many women my ex had brazenly stared at when my back was  turned; you know – back when I thought we were sharing wonderful “family time.”

• T says:

WOW!! Brazen, indeed!

Don’t you just want to go ask him, WTF?!?!

• T says:

WOW!! Brazen, indeed!

Don’t you just want to go ask him, WTF?!?!

• SarahH says:

You be sure that this guy has already cheated on his wife or is soon about to. Given how brazen he was with his wife in the same room,I’d say he already has.

I feel like a light has been turned on inside my head since I discovered my husband was a cheater. Things I never noticed are so transparent now. It’s sad really. But I’d rather see the truth than be a fool.

Your blog is fanastic Delane! I LOVE the first chapter of your book, can’t wait to read more.

XO Sarah

• SarahH says:

XO Sarah

• krissyface says:

BLEGHHH!!!!

• krissyface says:

BLEGHHH!!!!

• momofthree says:

Thank goodness you’re one of the smart women who see the cheating scum for what he is. Why is it some women can’t see past the flattery and don’t realize men like that will never appreciate what they have and will always be looking for the next best thing!

• momofthree says:

• Cathy says:

Gotta feel sorry for the wife but you also have to give the scumbag credit for having good taste.

Men are visual creatures and checking out other women is in the genes. You would think the least this guy could have done was respect his wife.

Brazen is an understatment for what this guy did.

• Cathy says:

Brazen is an understatment for what this guy did.

• Delaine says:

Good taste, indeed Cathy *grin. Though given my feeble attempts to get my butt to the gym lately, the knockout factor in my bikini wearing is highly questionable.

As I watched this guy walk away with his wife and young son, I felt so sorry for her… I saw my Old Self walking along the pool. And this guy switched into ‘husband persona’ so quickly and smoothly.

I’m with you Sarah – a light has been turned on for me too,

• Delaine says:

I’m with you Sarah – a light has been turned on for me too,

• teri stoddard says:

Why not see the glass half full? While he was giving you attention, didn’t it make you feel good? Everyone enjoys a compliment, and attention is just that.

• Delaine says:

Oh I see the glass half-full in this scenario Terri – in fact, it’s totally full…of CRAP.

• absalom says:

I’m dating a married woman, and it’s great.

During your crappy marriage, didn’t you sometimes feel you could do with a little happiness?

Throw off your tired American puritanism, it might do you some good.

• Divorced Father says:

Listen, he’s paying you a compliment. What’s the harm in that?

Maybe he’s in a dead marriage, to boot.

He’s stuck because he’s going to lose his house, savings, and worst of all, his children, if he gets divorced.

Smile back at him – it won’t kill you.

Marriage is on the way out, anyways. Women file ~70% of all divorces, overall, and, as you mentioned in another article, they have high rates of infidelity when they are still married.

Times have changed.

• Wendy says:

What a disgraceful piece of human!! Men like that makes me sick. My ex didnt really cared if he flirted infront of me so that makes him a disgraceful piece of scum too.

• Delainem says:

LOL, I love how you call it as it is Wendy.

Seriously – did the guy not think I’d notice him with his wife? The audacity!

Sure makes me wonder how many marriages are unravelling as we speak. It’s a count down till the cheater screws up…I think a lot of them just get sloppy…and more brazen.